[c-nsp] sup32/sup720 onboard int performance

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 21 05:17:15 EDT 2009

Jeff Bacon wrote:
> How are the ports that are on the supervisor module hooked into the
> fabric/PFC? Are they at any significant advantage or disadvantage
> compared to ports on linecards?

IIRC they're bus-attached ports on the plain sup720. I think they're
fabric-attached on the sup720-10g.

They're obviously bus-attached on the sup32 since it lacks a fabric.

This matters for putting the box in dCEF-only mode, which helps some
types of sup failover; see the first few items in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/nsfsso.html#wp1105901

But, since you're primarily concerned with the sup32 that's not relevant.

I'm not hugely familiar with the sup32 but my understanding is that it
lacks a fabric completely, and that the PFC and onboard ports are all
attached to the bus. Perhaps someone else can comment.