[c-nsp] RP/SP BOOT synchronisation issue on 6500/7600

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Aug 21 11:42:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:

> Has anyone met such an issue?
>
> Whenever i use more than 2 files in the boot sequence, i get the SP BOOT
> variable desynchronized (RP BOOT is fine).
>
> I have seen it in SXH3a, SXI1, SRD2a. Is there a lower limit on the number of
> chars in SP BOOT than in RP BOOT?
>
> On some versions i also get "%MONITOR-SP-3-VARSETFAIL: ROM monitor variable
> set of "BOOT" failed."

I posted this back in January:

  Is it a known issue that a 6509 (sup720-3bxl) with "too many" boot system
  statements in the config will confuse the boot loader, resulting in

  Autoboot: failed, BOOT string is empty
  Autoboot executing command: "boot "

  At this point, the unit boots whatever it can find in sup-bootflash.

It sounds like you've run into a similar issue.  I was running into this
with around 5 or 6 boot statements.  I guess when upgrading, it's best to
limit yourself to 2 boot statements (first choice and second choice).