[c-nsp] ASA real world throughput

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 03:32:35 EDT 2009

Hi All,

im looking at deploying an ASA cluster and scratching my head in terms of
throughputs.

the data sheet for the 5520 says 450Mbps clear text and 250Mbps encrypted
(vpn)
and for the 5500 its 1.2Gbps clear text and 450Mbps encrypted

basically double the capacity for roughly double the price.

my question is, by how much do I have to divide these data sheet figures to
get real world usable figures that i am likely to see in production.  we all
know that for routers you have to divide those figures by 2 at a minimum
since they represent tests with 64 byte packets in strict lab conditions
whith the CPU running rather hot.

im really looking to be covered for say about 300Mbps down, 100Mbps up of
which about 5-10% will be vpn encrypted.

whats the rule of thumb for ASA boxes to get real values from the data sheet
values ?

Thanks,

anton