[c-nsp] NAT-ON-A-STICK for VRF Traffic

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Mon Aug 24 22:36:22 EDT 2009

I've been able to get this working using NVI but I'm finding the
traceroute is a bit strange. It times out after the Internet GW
interface (202.45.118.x) which is on NAT-PE. When I go back to using nat
inside/outside interfaces, the traceroute goes through fine. Any ideas
why a NVI would not give a full traceroute of all the hops. Internet
connectivity is fine so can't complain but don't want VPN customers
asking why the traceroute isn't showing properly.

My topology is like this:

CE1 --10.15.99.4/30--> PE1 -> P --202.45.118.x/30--> NAT-PE
<--10.15.99.8/30-- CE2

>From CE1 side:

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [66.102.11.99] over a maximum of 30
hops:

  1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.2.1
  2    23 ms    21 ms    20 ms  10.15.99.5
  3    19 ms    18 ms    20 ms  202.45.118.x
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.

>From CE2 (directly connected to NAT-PE):

C:\Users\sysadmin>tracert www.yahoo.com

Tracing route to www-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com [209.131.36.158] over a
maximum of 30 hops:

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.15.99.9
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
  3     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
  4    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
  5    12 ms    13 ms    12 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
  8   172 ms   172 ms   172 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
  9   173 ms   172 ms   172 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
 10   173 ms   173 ms   173 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
 11   173 ms   173 ms   173 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]
 12   173 ms   174 ms   173 ms  f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
[209.131.36.158]

Trace complete.

Not sure why all the hops don't show up when I do a traceroute from
either CE's????

Thanks.

Andy