[c-nsp] Long Uptime

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Aug 25 16:26:18 EDT 2009

Alexander Clouter wrote:
> Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:
>> [snipped]
>>
>> ..some might wonder why routine upgrade/patching windows are not being
>> undertaken..a resilient linkage scheme and equipment list should mean that
>> eg a router or switch can be taken out even in middle of day should
>> out of hours work be a non-entity :-|
>>
> In a phrase "risk assessment".  The risk of being h4ck0r3d probably in
> many situations might be considered lower than the risk of someone
> having a larger todger^Wuptime.

I know of at least one device referenced in this thread as being a
"show" piece, running on a carefully-managed UPS, hand-carried on at
least one occasion (with other hands carrying said UPS within a 5'
radius of the device...), all to be able to say "we have a device with
XXXX uptime!".  As far as I know, there are no Ethernet cables into the
device.  Hence, no risk.  ;)

pt