[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 26 15:01:58 EDT 2009

Hi,

Scott Granados <gsgranados at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm interested in general, how much IPV6 is actually out there?  I'm very
> unfamiliar but at my present gig and my last few I never ran in to this
> once. Is it actually being used in production?

Ironically I would suggest Google...which it's-self is IPv6 enabled.
It's not the 'enabling' IPv6 in the network that's the awkward bit, it's
trying to eject the mindset that IPv4 puts you in...

With IPv6 you can get rid of DHCP, forget VPN's, forget DDNS, forget
HSRP, and most importantly you no longer need NATs that understand every
protocol that runs through it and so remove a possible single point of
failure.

By tinkering you find out what horrible kludges are in IPv4[1] and
slowly untie your brain from thinking in that manner.  You quickly
discovery what tpye of straightjacket IPv4 put us all in.

In short, it's how the Internet is meant to run.  Google themselves say
it has simplified things internally for them.  Besides, I though Comcast
was rolling out IPv6 next year to all it's DSL users?  Other production
cases are the smattering of ISP's about with it everywhere and of course
free.fr.

Cheers

[1] for the OS knowledgable people, it is akin to UNIX compared to
	Plan9, just without the cute logo of course

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Is it clean in other dimensions?