[c-nsp] RES: IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Aug 26 16:23:18 EDT 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Leonardo Gama Souza wrote:

> Why can we forget about HSRP with IPv6?
>
>> With IPv6 you can get rid of DHCP, forget VPN's, forget DDNS, forget
>> HSRP, and most importantly you no longer need NATs that understand
> every
>> protocol that runs through it and so remove a possible single point of
>> failure.

If you increase the frequency of the NUD to sufficiently low you can
emulate HSRP like behaviour. We are using this trick for
HA DNS servers with *BSD carp in the server side.

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Deputy Director of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882