[c-nsp] MST and Uplinkfast

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Wed Aug 26 17:37:10 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Can anybody confirm if uplinkfast is enabled when you run MST?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configura
tion_example09186a00807b075f.shtml

"The spanning tree uplinkfast and backbonefast features are PVST+
features, and it is disabled when you enable MST because those features
are built within RSTP, and MST relies on RSTP."

To me this statement seems rather ambigious - are they saying uplinkfast
is disabled with MST or is it built into RPST and therefore MST will
have that feature too???

When I enable uplinkfast , it tells me that uplinkfast is inactive in
mst and testing shows a lost of data flow for around 20-30sec before
traffic switches over to the redundant link???

switch #sh span summ
Switch is in mst mode
Root bridge for: none
EtherChannel misconfig guard is enabled
Extended system ID           is enabled
Portfast Default             is disabled
PortFast BPDU Guard Default  is disabled
Portfast BPDU Filter Default is disabled
Loopguard Default            is enabled
UplinkFast                   is enabled but inactive in mst mode
BackboneFast                 is disabled
Pathcost method used         is long

Name                   Blocking Listening Learning Forwarding STP Active
---------------------- -------- --------- -------- ---------- ----------
MST00                        0         0        0          2          2
MST01                        0         0        0          2          2
2 msts                       0         0        0          4          4

Thanks.

Andy

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
 any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
 author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any