[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 26 18:07:27 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:17:53PM +0200, Daniel Verlouw wrote:
> seconded. And currently there's no way we're gonna live without HSRP/
> VRRPv6. Waiting for RA/NUD to timeout is just way too slow (besides,
> several OSs behave quirky with multiple default gateways presents).

HSRP with IPv6 is there on IOS, VRRP with IPv6 is there on JunOS and
(as far as I understand) "coming soon" to IOS.

> No VPNs? What about host-to-host IPSec VPNs (e.g MS DirectAccess)?

Technically a VPN, indeed.  I think the original poster was aiming at
"getting rid of all those nasty VPN clients that you have to install
on your box and that mess up all your machines".  DirectAccess sounds
like a Really Great Thing.

(*And* it will bring IPv6 into the enterprises, which normally stubbornly
refuse any sort of progress...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de