[c-nsp] Large networks

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 26 18:12:09 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:11:48PM +0200, Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
> > > Some of us still have to live with reality where IPv6 deployment is
> > > negligible :)
> >
> > You have it in your hands to change that.
>
> You might. I don't. The only thing I can do is spread the gospel ... But you
> know what usually happens to those people :)
>
> Not a single ISP in Slovenia provides production-grade IPv6 service and I
> won't run tunnels half way across the planet just to claim I'm capable of
> configuring the latest technology wonder :))

Well.  This is *exactly* what you can do about it: bug your upstream ISPs
about it, and require it at contract requirements.

I know that a few .si ISPs already have working IPv6 - not production
ready yet, but at least getting experience and moving packets, and building
momentum.

I don't know the market situation in Slovenia, admittedly, but I would
be surprised if none of the "big ones" with IPv6 would be offering their
services there (Global Crossing, NTT/Verio, Flag Telecom, UUnet).  What
international carriers are offering IP services at your place?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de