[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 27 07:11:46 EDT 2009

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 09:35:54AM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> IPv6 emulated the then-state-of-the-art IPX autoconfig mechanisms, and
>> seems reluctant to admit it's missed out the last decade of operational
>> knowledge acquired with IPv4.
>>
>> SLAAC should die the death it so richly deserves (except for link-local)
>> and DHCPv6 should gain prefix advertisment capability.
>
> SLAAC works *very* well for the things it was made for: zero-conf
> environments, with no dedicated DHCP server - as in "home networks" or
> "office networks".

Hmm.

It seems to me that there are two types of networks:

  1. Not connected to the internet at all i.e. no router etc. - in which
case SLAAC can just allocate link-local addresses

  2. A small network with a router - in which case, I fail to see why
the router can't embed a DHCPv6 server just as easily as
SEND/CGA/RFC5006 RA implementation

Basically, I think SLAAC should only ever allocate link-local. I'm fine
with that - it does, as you say, do the job very well, and the ability
to bootstap subnet-local connectivity off link-local makes the next
steps much easier, cleaner and saner.

> It's not meant to be used for connecting customer sites to an ISP
> network, and it's not overly useful for numbering servers either - but
> that doesn't make it "death deserving".

Fair point.

The problem is that there seems to be a zealous effort to shoehorn
everything into SLAAC (e.g. DNS servers) and avoid bringing any "IPv4
mistakes" into IPv6.

But some people seem to think DHCP is a "mistake", and DHCP options a
"mistake" and allocating fixed IPs a "mistake". I cannot share that view.

I think that holds IPv6 back, because a lot of enterprises aren't
willing to be the guinea pigs for an unproven model where potentially
rogue clients generate their own addresses as they please.

I do think that there's nothing SLAAC can do that DHCPv6 can't do, if a
prefix advertisment DHCPv6 option were created. And as I say, I wonder
therefore what the point is - why couldn't these tiny home & office
networks with ADSL just as easily embed a minimal DHCPv6 server, versus
an RFC 5006 implementation?

Ironically we can't use DHCPv6 here even if we wanted to, because it
doesn't work in 6vPE under SXI - I was told it was "harder than it
seemed" and my TAC case was closed as the opened a PER - I think...