[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Daniel Verlouw daniel at bit.nl
Thu Aug 27 07:42:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 12:51 +0200, Grzegorz Janoszka wrote:

> Link-local IP's are fe80::/10, so I planned to use fe80::/16 in my
> network just by replacing first 16 bits of our public IP's.
>
> Can anyone say whether this is bad or wrong idea? :)

VRRPv6 (on Junos at least) requires you to statically configure
link-local addresses. We use the following scheme for each subnet:

fe80::<group id>:1/64 = virtual
fe80::2/64 = first router
fe80::3/64 = second router

(all done using a commit script btw, so no addt'l manual labour
involved)

We don't use HSRP (yet), but I guess you could employ this in an HSRP
environment as well and just tell -all- your customers to point to
fe80::X:1 as default gateway.

   --Daniel.