[c-nsp] IPV6 in general was Re: Large networks

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Aug 27 09:13:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:23:37PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 27/08/2009 11:41, Gert Doering wrote:
> >SLAAC works *very* well for the things it was made for: zero-conf
> >environments, with no dedicated DHCP server - as in "home networks" or
> >"office networks".
>
> No it doesn't.  After 13 years of ipv6 development, I still can't plug my
> mac or my windows box into an ipv6 only network and actually expect it to
> work, because RA/RDNSS client support is so hit and miss.

Yes.  IETF really botched that "everything is automatic but we don't
tell you how to discover DNS" part.

Some devices use anycast DNS addresses - if I remember this right, I saw
this on an nokia mobile, querying DNS at fec0:0:0:ffff::1 and :2 - nice
idea, but not working very well either, because hardly anyone has DNS
resolvers listening there...

(OTOH: if you plug your laptop with 'a random choice of IPv6-enabled
operating system' into an IPv6 only network with DHCPv6, does it work?
I seem to remember that MacOS X doesn't do any DHCPv6, just SLAAC and
mDNS...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de