[c-nsp] OSPF fast convergence on Sup32/SXI

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Aug 29 10:45:21 EDT 2009

Hi,

for a new project, I have been tasked to build a network that does
IGP fast convergence "as fast as possible!!!" (with 5 exclamation marks).

Due to other reasons (... of course this needs to be FAST and cost
NOTHING...), the routers will be 6504+Sup32s, planned IOS is SXH3a or
SXI2.

BFD won't be possible, as routing will be done on SVIs (thanks, Cisco)

[*maybe* I can do this on port-channel dot1q subinterfaces, but I'm not
yet sure how this will work out - can MUX-UNI be used to mix routed
subinterfaces and switched VLANs?  I've only used it to mix MPLS subfs
and switched VLANs].

Now I'm looking for experience and recommendations about tweaking OSPF
- how far have you (successfully) reduced OSPF hello timers?   Any other
success or horror stories about IGP fast convergence on Sup32?

... and yes, I'm aware that I won't be able to do "sub-500ms" on this
platform.  I'm not aiming for this :-) - something like "< 3s" would
be perfect, "< 10s" would make $them grumble, but eventually accept it...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de