[c-nsp] Migrate 6500 to 7600

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sat Aug 29 13:01:05 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 17:39 +0100, Mateusz Blaszczyk wrote:
> We are going to replace a chassis of our core router (SUP720).
> At the moment it is a standard 6509, but the new one is going to be a
> smaller 7606S, using the same SUP720 (also the plan is to update the
> TCAM with XL memory upgrade kit). The box is running SXF.
>
> Did anyone undergo such switchover? Are there any gotchas to avoid,
> some tips(howtos) to follow? We will run SRB or SRC, not sure yet.

We tried the other way around a couple of times, i.e. moved a Sup720
from a 7600 chassis to a 6500 chassis. The only kind of "problem" we ran
into was to sometimes not remember to have a copy of the software that
will actually boot in the other chassis. With SXF this has never been a
problem, only with SRB/SXH and newer.

Otherwise it has been painless.

Regards,
Peter