[c-nsp] Data VLAN/Voice VLAN

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Mon Aug 31 11:30:37 EDT 2009

The TAC engineer I asked for configuration help found this link for me
(I feel dumb being simply out-Googled, but appreciative that he went
outside Cisco-only docs and actually found me good interop info)

http://www.avaya.de/emea/de/resource/assets/applicationnotes/CSCO_LLDP-MED.pdf

On the access ports, we have:
 switchport
 switchport host
 switchport access vlan 100
 switchport voice vlan 400

And globally all I had to turn on was "lldp run"

We do connect workstations through the phone's built-in switch, and we
do use the separate data and voice VLANs.  Operationally, we're
serving the DHCP options to the phones (a big string of variables in
option 176) but in the lab I verified the phone would receive and use
the voice and data VLANs separate via LLDP parameters, without help
from DHCP.

The only thing I noticed missing was the precise power info.  AF power
determines that the phone is class 2, so it allocates 7.9 Watts from
the PS, but if CDP was there (or the Power TLVs in LLDP were open
standard, instead of Avaya Propreitary) then it would get the more
precise consumption (say 6.2 Watt) and be able to allocate more phones
out of the same PS.

Other than that, seems to work like a charm.  We get lots of good info
from the phones via LLDP.

-Geoff