[c-nsp] MPLS - collapsed P PE

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:43:59 EST 2009

Hi,

We have quite a setup with P/PE collapsed routers in quite a few
places. There where at lease a few  reasons, for going that way:
1. Lack of physical space in some locations to deploy full P and PE routers
2. Not enough customers in particular location to justify more equipment
3. Architectural decisions that we've made (i.e. standard setup
templates that we deploy).

For denser locations in many cases we decided to use a big L2-only
switch and still terminate the L2/L3 services on the P/PE.
I think that having a full P-only network can be only justified in a
very specific scenarios.
In our case migration to separate P and PE is not very difficult, but
requires some re-work. For example all our PEs have to be multi-homed
to two Ps. If we can't achieve that we leave them in the P/PE state.

kind regards
Pshem