[c-nsp] Ethernet WAN Links question

Marcelo Zilio ziliomarcelo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 06:46:29 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm facing a new situation. We are exchanging our Service Provider for MPLS
and Internet links.
We have requested them redundant MPLS and Internet connections. At the HQ
site they gave us Ethernet interfaces as media access. So far so good.

The problem is that this Service Provider gave us two Ethernet cables
configured with 802.1q being the first cable the "main" Internet and MPLS
and the second the "backup" Internet and MPLS.

They ask us to connect these cables to our LAN switches, create VLANs and
connect to our layer 3 devices so we could use four cables being two for
Internet and two for MPLS. A simple scheme

SP (802.1q main Internet and MPLS) ----- LAN Switch -----> Internet VLAN 10
   (802.1q backup Internet and MPLS)-----------|    -----> Internet VLAN 11
                                                    -----> MPLS VLAN 20
                                                    -----> MPLS VLAN 30
There is an option they supply the switch too.
The first thing that came to mind is security issues since we are connecting
Internet and Local Network to the same switch inside the network.

The question is: Is this a common practice? How do you handle with this
scenario?

Any input will be helpfull

Thanks