[c-nsp] Mixing Cat4500 Power Supplies

Jeff jeffeloy at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 17:37:27 EST 2009

In order to get PoE for a future VoIP rollout, we are replacing our
Cat4506 with a Cat4506-E with PoE blades and a 2800W PoE power supply.
Unfortunately, I only purchased one 2800W PoE power supply for the new
switch.  The old switch has two 1000W (non-PoE) power supplies.  Can I take one of the old 1000W power supplies and put it in the redundant power supply slot of the new Cat4506-E?  Obviously, this secondary power supply
would not do PoE if the primary failed, but would it otherwise work?  I
plan on getting another 2800W power supply in the spring anyway, just
wondering if I can mix the new 2800W PoE power supply with the older
1000W non-PoE power supply for the time being.

Thanks!