[c-nsp] 6500 (Sup7203-bxl / 6724-SFP) Input queue drops

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 7 09:01:17 EST 2009

Drew Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is possible.
>
> We're a co-location style facility where we do not have direct
> control over what the end systems do.
>
> I would think that a system like the 6500 should be able to handle a
> little UDP traffic without losing its mind but i've been wrong about
> things in the past =)

Well, mtr is a traceroute style program, and one that can be quite
aggressive at that (though useful). If it's sending a lot of packets at
your router which have TTL=1 when they arrive, then that's a lot of CPU
punts.

You didn't specify whether anything was *wrong* here; are you
experiencing problems, or just counter anomalies?

I take it the port-channel is in routed mode, rather than switchport?