[c-nsp] VRF Limitations/OSPF Process Limitations on 3550/3560

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Dec 7 13:07:56 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 10:23 -0600, Mike Kiefer wrote:
> Are there currently any limitations on running VRF lite with an OSPF
> process per VRF on this hardware? I was told by a coworker that
> 3550/3560's have an extremely low limit. Something like 4 or 5
> vrfs/OSPF processes. This doesn't seem right.

The 3550 can handle 7 VRFs. The 3560 can handle 26 VRFs.

When trying to create #8 on a 3550 it logs this:

 %L3TCAM-3-TOO_MANY_VRF: The maximum number of VRFs allowed has been exceeded

It will still create the VRF but no let you assign an RD and it won't
work.

On a 3560 running the CLI will not let you create more that 26 VRFs;
attempting to create the 27th results in a CLI error:

 [...]
 Switch(config)#ip vrf test27
 % Can't create VRF test27
 Switch(config)#

The limitation seems to lie in the TCAM programming.

--
Peter