[c-nsp] Cisco VPN and 64 bit Windows

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Wed Dec 9 23:13:31 EST 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Marc Haber wrote:

> What are the (dis)advantages of anyconnect?

- It works in more places than IPSec - mostly hotels with dodgy firewalls.

- Its easier to configure for the user. Send them to a URL, enter username
and password, client downloads, installs, configures itself.

- I'm not 100% keen on the Mac client. Its clunky and obtrusive. Apple
only just got around to including IPSec under Snow Leopard, and have had
it on the iPhone for ages. But getting the Apples of the world to include
Cisco SSL? By then we'll have yet another VPN technology. The Windows
client is a bit better.

- Modifying VPN filter lists using the IPSec client on the ASA was
instant. Anyconnect/SSL requires a reconnect for access-list changes to
apply.

Rgds,

- I.