[c-nsp] Cisco Pagent IOS

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 06:03:12 EST 2009

Hansen, Ulrich Vestergaard B. (E R WP EN 342) wrote:
> Can you recommend some good ones?
>
> Freeware/Opensource is no requirement.
>
> Testing req:
>
> Http sessions
> Tcp sessions
> Udp strams
> Multicast
> Voice (QoS)

I mostly have used open source tools in the past; a brief rundown...

iperf is a nice simple tool; it does TCP and UDP including multicast,
and the UDP can be made to report jitter & loss in e.g. 1 second intervals.

rude and crude are pretty good for very low-level UDP testing, including
programmable traffic profiles. Don't be fooled by the fact they haven't
been updated in years - the problem is fundamentally no different:

http://rude.sourceforge.net/

There are about a zillion HTTP tools, but something simple like "ab"
might suffice.

If you're interested in multicast, "dbeacon" can be left running
indefinitely and generates nice web pages & delay, jitter & loss stats
including nice RRD graphs - e.g. http://external.net.ic.ac.uk/matrix

I've successfully used used iperf to load a link, then wireshark to
capture the VoIP traffic (SIP, RTP & RTCP) and dump out the RTCP stats.
It's also gained an RTP analyzer in the meantime, but I've never had
cause to use that.

The linux kernel has a in-built packet generator:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/networking/pktgen.txt

Google lists loads more e.g.

http://www.grid.unina.it/software/ITG/sdescr.php

...as well as commercial (and very pricey) products like Smartbits and
so forth.

It's a big field.