[c-nsp] Idle sessions on 12.2(33)SR cause high CPU

Byrd, William will at collier-byrd.net
Fri Dec 11 10:21:22 EST 2009

Yes, SRC3 has a known bug related to memory leaks on idle/active BGP peers:

CSCsy58115 Bug Details Continuous BGP mem increase with non established
neighbors

Symptom:

In a router running BGP the BGP Router process may hold increased amounts of
memory over time without freeing any memory. This may also be seen from the
output of "show proc mem sort" and in the output of "show ip bgp sum" or
"show ip bgp vpnv4 all sum" and looking at the number of BGP attributes
which may be increasing over time in relation to the BGP prefixes and paths
which may remain roughly the same.

Conditions:

Some BGP neighbors are not in established state and exchanging prefixes. The
issue is observed on all platforms running 12.2(31)SB14 12.2(33)SB1b
12.2(33)SB2 12.2(33.05.14)SRB 12.2(33.02.09)SRC 12.2(33)SRC3 12.4(20)T2
12.4(22)T1
12.2(33)SXI or later releases.

Workaround:

Remove the configuration lines related to the inactive neighbors (neighbors
in Idle or Active states).