[c-nsp] Application issue over ISP

Vincent C Jones v.jones at networkingunlimited.com
Sun Dec 13 11:53:28 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 21:06 +0530, jack daniels wrote:
> I have a scenario -
>
> CE -------ISP1
> |

> ISP2
>
> users behind CE connect to remote application ,
> Now issue is if ISP1 LINK or ISP1 goes down I have times less than 4 sec
> for application to go via other link so that users are not imacted.
> So can there be any solution for traffic to converge before 2 request
> timeouts , so that my application users are not impacted.

There are a wide variety of solutions, but whether or not they will work
for you depends very much on both the specifics of the application and
how you connect to your ISPs. Classic dual-homed BGP is not one of the
solutions given your timeout requirements. "Ping based routing" may do
the job if your user application can tolerate changing public IP
addresses. If you have a presence at both ends of the public internet
connection, you could also look at tunnel based solutions.

--
Vincent C. Jones
Networking Unlimited, Inc.