[c-nsp] Design issue for customer with dual MPLS links

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 08:33:34 EST 2009

jack daniels wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> This is a paticular design issue I'm facing with customer where I have a lot
> of constrainits .
>
> Topology

The diagram is a bit mangled, at least for me...

> MPLS CLOUD (ISP1)
> MPLS CLOUD (ISP2)
> |

> CE1
> CE2

> |--------------------------------PIX525
> (CLUSTER)---------------------------------
>                                   LAN ( 6509 catalyst switch - runnning
> HSRP)
>

> Issue - I want  to go out via ISP1 and come back via ISP1 ......Backup is
> CE2
>
> When traffic reaches PIX cluster how will it decide whether ISP1 is UP and
> traffic is not blackholed......How will PIX cluster decide to FWD traffic to
> ISP2.
>
> Now for this solution , constraints are -
>
> 1) I cant run HSRP on CE1 and CE2
> 2) Cant run run dynamic routing on PIX
> 3) IP SLA also can't also be used on PIX cluster

Oh good. An easy question </sarcasm>

Seriously - go back to the customer and re-negotiate the constraints.

Failing that - use something like EEM on CE1 to drop the physical link
from CE1->PIX if the internet goes away, and on the PIX, have two static
default routes - a low-cost one pointing to CE1 and a high-cost pointing
to CE2.

This assumes the link from CE1->PIX is an actual physical link. It
obviously won't work if it goes via a layer2 switch.

But HSRP or routing are the "best" ways to solve this.