[c-nsp] 7200 for BGP

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 07:38:49 EST 2009

hi R.

The G2 will certainly handle it, but I would look into the reason for having
75%, that sounds really bad.

For the G1 and NPE400, I'd say you definitely need more memory - 512 MB or
1G to be fine.

This is what Cisco says:
The amount of memory required to store BGP routes depends on many factors,
such as the router, the number of alternate paths available, route
dampening, community, the number of maximum paths configured, BGP
attributes, and VPN configurations. Without knowledge of these parameters it
is difficult to calculate the amount of memory required to store a certain
number of BGP routes. Cisco typically recommends a minimum of 512 MB of RAM
in the router to store a complete global BGP routing table from one BGP
peer. However, it is important to understand ways to reduce memory
consumption and achieve optimal routing without the need to receive the
complete Internet routing table.

See this document for the details about the memory consumpsion -
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

The rule of thumb is 1k of prefixes = 1M of RAM, but this is too generic and
little conservative.