[c-nsp] Loopback/VLAN question

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Tue Dec 15 15:13:30 EST 2009

Frank,

The right way to solve it would be to use the ES20 (or more actually the
more recent ES+) modules.
This would allow you to create a separate EVC/EFP (service-instance) per
site, using whatever VLAN IDs (even reusing them, or using QinQ) and
then bridge-domain them all to the same central global bridge VLAN,
which would be the Layer 3 service endpoint (for DHCP).

"Use the right tools for the job"

Anyway, with your setup, if this is not becoming a big service (which
would then make sense to invest in new HW), then maybe you should just
break them into separate L3 domains.

Another option is to use the MetroE model of uPE and nPE, where a uPE is
used for some parts of the service. This could be a L2 switch (CPE?
ME3400-2CS) to do the VLAN translation...

Hope this helps.

Arie