[c-nsp] Cisco IPS vs TippingPoint

Scott Granados gsgranados at comcast.net
Wed Dec 16 14:53:11 EST 2009

Anything is better than the Cisco IPS in our testing.  The Tipping point is
quite good as is the Juniper IDP (75, 250, 800, 8200 etc)  I've used the
tipping point and it was quite good and the reporting functionality was
superior.  If you're interested in this space also check out Juniper, ISS,
Source Fire, and don't shoot me but McAfee.  In terms of actual threat
detection the vendors all did fairly well with the exception of Cisco.  The
units we tested as well as other 3rd party tests you can find by googling
show Cisco falls short by about 40% in terms of threats detected.  Get your
self some hands on demos of all these products if this is an area you're
seriously interested in.

HTH
Scott