[c-nsp] Data Center switch replacement

chris at lavin-llc.com chris at lavin-llc.com
Thu Dec 17 20:42:49 EST 2009

> Chris,
>
>   If you already have the redundancy in place with the old hardware, it
> should be as simple as migrating one side of the pair of switches. This
> way the customer is always up and running and you can switch them over
> to the new gear seamlessly and then replace the other side with minimal
> downtime.
>

>   Just my 2 cents from someone who has gone through that same scenario.

Manny,

Very good points. And that is our design. However, lack of strict
adherence to our standard has led to two problems. First, several servers
didn't get cabled with two connections. Second, the folks who manage the
servers have challenges with the NIC configurations. So while we expect
many of the servers can sustain the loss of one NIC, we have several that
we know and many that we may not know, will lose network connectivity as
we flip the connection to the new switch.

VM can't get rolled out fast enough. sigh

-chris