[c-nsp] Data Center switch replacement

Cassidy Larson alandaluz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:22:32 EST 2009

>> Very good points. And that is our design. However, lack of strict
>> adherence to our standard has led to two problems. First, several servers
>> didn't get cabled with two connections. Second, the folks who manage the
>> servers have challenges with the NIC configurations. So while we expect
>> many of the servers can sustain the loss of one NIC, we have several that
>> we know and many that we may not know, will lose network connectivity as
>> we flip the connection to the new switch.

How about you individually move each connection over to the secondary
switch one at a time.  This should only be a 30 second downtime window
per port, I'd think?  Once you've migrated everybody off of the
primary switch, pull it, upgrade it and then move everybody back
one-by-one?  This would minimize everybody's downtime and I think
would go over better with your clients.  Plus, you can drag out the
upgrade over time rather than an "all or none" scenario.