[c-nsp] 8 Racks of Servers and Growing; switch/layout recommendations

Michael Balasko Michael.Balasko at cityofhenderson.com
Wed Dec 23 17:11:22 EST 2009

We are a pretty small enterprise(100 racks, ~300servers and lots of
Cisco gear) and we are "consolidated" end of row. That means we have
aggregated our switches in a few central racks and haul all of the
copper to each rack.

Our datacenter is extremely nice and we pride ourselves on how the place
is organized and how clean the cabling is kept. Thank being said if we
were greenfield we'd probably go true top of rack because of the cabling
densities in the racks are getting difficult to manage with EOR. We are
looking at up to 60 copper connections per rack and at least 24 FC
fiber.

The EOR consolidation of copper is a massive chokepoint/headache and
we'd likely not do it again:)

There are dozens of technical arguments either way, but our "issue" is
primarily cable density....

YMMV....

Mike