[c-nsp] Cisco CNS initial configuration

Brett Wooldridge brett.wooldridge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 08:20:08 EST 2009

Phil,

I'm sending back a content type of "application/xml".  Though it doesn't
seem to matter what content type I return.  I've turned on all debugging,
what I'm getting is a failure to parse the top-level tag.  Something along
the lines of "No handler for tag rpc".  I've jettisoned 'rpc' as the top
level tag and tried about twenty other tags.  I even went so far as to run
the unix 'strings' command on the uncompressed IOS image -- resulting in
about 4000 unique strings.  I've tried many of the obvious ones as top level
tags, "config", "config-data", "startup", "response", "boot", etc.  It's not
a fruitful exercise.  All result in the same error, "No handler for tag
XXX".

I'm down to putting out a call to anyone where with a Cisco Configuration
Engine (any version).  If you have said beast, would you be willing to
wireshark a 'cns config initial' conversation between a device (any IOS) and
CCE?  You'll be enriching the fountain of knowledge from which we all drink.
 I'll be happy to fully document the results here for posterity.

TIA,
Brett