[c-nsp] A little confusion: OSPF and iBGP

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Feb 3 13:28:26 EST 2009

Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 09:31:49 pm Steve Bertrand
> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Mark,

> For customer aggregation edge routers, prefixes used to
> assign /30 (/126 for v6, or whatever you use for this
> purpose) point-to-point addresses, as well as assignments
> for their own use on their LAN's, from your own blocks,
> would be included in your iBGP running on these router.
> Typically, we assign whole /24's or more for this purpose,
> and announce a shorter block within our network; keeps our
> iBGP table as small as possible (can't have little /30's or
> /126's running around in your iBGP, now can you :-)).

So far, I seem to be doing ok then, less the ability to aggregate the /30's.

At first, I allocated space for /30's from a reserved space for only
that purpose, and have this reserved space on both the inside, and
outside of the edge routers (and have to have the little /30's floating
around).

That's easy enough to rectify at this point by renumbering my
intra-router links, so thank you for pointing that out :)

Steve