[c-nsp] Multihomed BGP load balancing

Stephen Kratzer kratzers at ctinetworks.com
Fri Feb 6 08:45:50 EST 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009 07:53:26 RAZAFINDRATSIFA Rivo Tahina wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm multihomed to 2 upstreams, from time to time, 1 link is full
> while the other has half of its capacity unused, as of now, I have to
> manual announce of /24 to try to balance traffics, are there more
> intelligent way to do that?
>
> Regards.

If you're connected to two different transit providers, say A and B, and A is
MUCH more well-connected than B, you could see if A supports communities to
restrict the advertisement of your routes to their peers and/or customers
only. This may, however, make the pendulum swing too far the other way. Also,
if provider B uses provider A as a transit provider also, you could try using
communities to either increase local pref on provider A's network or decrease
local pref on provider B's network.

And, when none of those options work as desired, you'll probably go back to
deaggregating...

Stephen Kratzer
Network Engineer
CTI Networks, Inc.