[c-nsp] WS-6500-SFM insertion into production box, much of an impact?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Feb 9 04:07:20 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 10:26 +1030, Ben Steele wrote:
> I'm looking for some info on the insertion of a SFM into a live 6500(Sup2
> obviously), can't seem to find any info on Cisco as to the consequences this
> may have to traffic flowing through the Bus at the time(ie dropped packet
> rates),

Just to chime in with more non-certain knowlegde: When doing OIR the box
does a "bus stall" AFAIK. This happens between when the pins start
connecting and when all pins are connected.

If this were to not cause any lost packets, the modules would have to
buffer while the bus stall is in effect and retransmit whatever was on
the wire when it happened. I don't think they do.

Regards,
Peter