[c-nsp] DHCP Binding Expiration

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Feb 9 14:10:38 EST 2009

Church, Charles wrote:
> Aren't those BOOTP clients that don't understand the concept of an
> expiration?

Once when I was curious (and very bored) I tracked a couple of them
down.  One was a Windows XP machine and the other was a fairly new
D-Link router/firewall CPE (which we have hundreds on our network).  I
don't know if either of them support Bootp but I would expect this
problem to come up more often if that was the case.  I'm trying to think
of what our customers would have on our edges that would support Bootp.
  Nothing comes to mind.  I'm sure you can configure some older clients
to do Bootp of course (Macs still support it if you intentionally
configure it that way) but no major demographic comes to mind.  I can
certainly be missing something though.

Justin