[c-nsp] DHCP Binding Expiration

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 15:01:58 EST 2009

Hi,

> expires.  This would prevent many of the less technical users from
> trying to run a publicly-accessible server.  Set the lease time to 2

default TCP inbound deny works wonders for this. Or, even crueller, NAT

> I've seen systems do something similar before (or at least I thought
> they were).  When I first got Cox CATV I could only keep my IP for about
> a day before it changed.  One way to mitigate the flow of traffic
> problem would be to grant short lease extensions automatically until the
> wee hours of the morning and then force the change.  Something to think
> about.

you can flush/destroy the DHCP binding table - it'll have the same effect
(good fun - all those PCs set to print to the IP address that the
pritner got when it was installed then have to be reconfigured etc)

> systems with CNR.  Oh, and finishing my IPv6 deployment.

DHCPv6 or router solicited?

alan