[c-nsp] Two BGP Routers and EIGRP

Jason Ford jason at chatinara.com
Mon Feb 9 22:32:24 EST 2009

Hey all,

I am seeing an issue with routes dropping in our configuration and
wanted to do a sanity check. We have two sup2/msfc2 w/ 512MB (router A
and B) each connected to a distinct BGP peer. We are running eigrp on
these routers as well to redistribute static and connected routes to two
other routers (router C and D) in our network. Currently I have a
default static route configured on router B to point to the BGP peer's
uplink. This in turn injects a default route into eigrp which router
A/C/D pick up. This is my question, is there a better way to set this
up? We do not want to push all BGP routes to router C and D because they
do not need all of the routes simply only a default route that is
dynamic if router D dies.

Second part is, we see inbound routes getting dropped  and causing
bouncing routes but it is only a select few. Traffic from peer comes to
router D and then router D sends it back to peer then peer sends it back
to router D etc etc. Is this due to the way I have the network setup up
above? If I hard reset the BGP session, the problem goes away for ~3
weeks. Is this a limitation of sup2's with BGP now that we are over 256k
routes?

Any suggestions are more than welcomed!

jason