[c-nsp] Annoying POPups

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Feb 10 10:19:10 EST 2009

Rocker Feller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a group of ips on my network a /24 that when browsing are getting an
> annoying popup across the browser.
>
> This strange behaviour started last week when the same block could not
> access any http site.
>
> Later the problem resolved itself so I thought till today.

This sounds like virus/spyware on the host or browser.  Does it happen
to a Mac or Linux box running Firefox?

> Now the block can browse but the annoying pop up pops everytime the page is
> refreshed and browsing is annoyingly.
>
> Any advise assistance on how I can trace the loophole on my network and
> rectify will be much appreciated.

Don't use Windows/IE/Outlook.  If you must, patch often and use
antivirus software.  Ideally, take those hosts off of your network until
they're disinfected.  In any case don't move them to another subnet
until they're disinfected.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net