[c-nsp] VTP domain.

Keith kwoody at citytel.net
Tue Feb 10 16:31:10 EST 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Peter Rathlev wrote:

|->On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 11:02 -0800, Keith wrote:
|->> Have a 3560 I am configuring to replace a 3550. Somehow the 3560 grabbed a
|->> vtp domain name when it was connected to another switch in our lab rack.
|->> The switch is not part of any domain, it just pushes packets.
|->>
|->> The 3550 being replaced has no vtp domain name. Is it possible to remove
|->> the vtp domain name without deleting the vlan.dat file? I have looked over
|->> the TAC but see nothing really regarding removing a vtp domain name. Lots
|->> about adding one, not about removing one.
|->>
|->> There are two routed connections to two other switches, I don't have to
|->> worry about any vlan advertisments being sent from the 3560 as long as
|->> there are no trunks between switches correct? I'm very afraid of swapping
|->> out the switches and having vlan data overwritten...
|->
|->Don't rely on different VTP domains (or even passwords) for this kind of
|->seperation. Instead set the device to use "vtp mode transparent". This
|->way it will not send or recieve VTP messages.
|->
|->About the questions: AFAIK there's no way to explicitly set a "null"
|->name for the VTP domain when it has already been set. And AFAIK you're
|->right about VTP not being carried across access ports.
|->
|->But do use transparent VTP mode if you need the switch to stay out of
|->VTP.

We don't use VTP here at all. We keep vlans seperate on each switch. I
have not really thought about VTP much until going over all the things
that can go wrong with this switch swap. All our switches do routing, so
any links between switches are set no switchport and assigned IP's.

I will change it to transparent mode just to make sure no vlan info is
carried over the two links to the other switches.

Also thanks for the answer to the question regarding vtp domain names. I'm
guessing the domain name that is there now and having the switch in
tranparent mode will not affect anything since it is not sending or
recieving VTP messages?

Thanks again,
Keith