[c-nsp] itu/c DWDM

Marlon Duksa mduksa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 17:23:29 EST 2009

Hi - can anyone explain  difference between 'tunable optics' and DWDM
capable cards on Cisco routers (7600, 12K and CRS), or is this the same?

Also, can in essence a  4-10GE-ITU/C  (4x10G C-band DWDM PLIM on CRS) do the
same thing as SPA-1x10GE-L-ITUC (1x10G C-Band spa) on 12K (port capacity put
aside)?

Does this mean that I can have a single physical port (on a DWDM enabled
7600/12K/CRS cards/PLIMs) carrying traffic at various speeds over
different wavelengths(BW totaling 10G for example for a 10G physical port)?
For example, I can create  one channel with oc-12 speed over one wavelength,
another channel with oc-48 speed on another channel and then bind those
channels to a sub-interface? Is this how this is done?

With  IPoDWDM optical integration they talk about eliminating transponders,
but I'm not sure what those transponders would do anyway, before they drop
traffic to an (RO)ADM?

Can anyone shed some light on this please.
Thanks,
Marlon