[c-nsp] DHCP Binding Expiration

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 11 03:29:11 EST 2009

Hi,

this is turning religious, but still...

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:30:16PM -0600, Justin Shore wrote:
> One thing on my to do list is to figure out how to always reject lease
> extension requests to force the CPE to pull a new IP every time a lease
> expires.  This would prevent many of the less technical users from
> trying to run a publicly-accessible server.

... I think the current state of IP end-to-end connectivity is bad enough,
as it goes (NAT, dynamic addressing, etc.).

It would be much better to invest work to *return* to a proper Internet,
where people can *reach* other people, instead of trying to break things
even further.

If your business side of things is messed up (otherwise, why would you
care what sort of IP application the client runs?  they pay for "Internet
access" not for "client access", no?) and you need to break your clients'
servers, block outgoing SYNs to ports <1024...

But as I said: this is not really a technical issue, more layer 8 to 10
("financial, political, religious").

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de