[c-nsp] VTP domain.

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Feb 11 10:27:01 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 09:04 -0500, Adam Greene wrote:
> In light of all the disasters that can happen with VTP, do people in
> general think it's worth the risk of deploying?
>
> We're getting pretty tired of adding / removing VLANs manually
> throughout various parts of our network, and find that it is prone to
> sloppiness (i.e. vlans being left on links where they don't belong).
>
> Not sure which is the greater evil ....

VTP is the greater evil, no question in my eyes. We roll out
configurations with a bash-script using SNMP og netConfigSet, and
pushing it to many switches is no problem this way. We have scripts
comparing running configurations with exptected parameters for various
things, so we know where we have mis-configurations. (Getting around to
fixing it is another matter.)

So if the network is large enough for chores like this to be tedious you
probably have/want a general configuration tool anyway.

Regards,
Peter