[c-nsp] BGP MSS=576 bytes

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Feb 11 16:08:48 EST 2009

Łukasz Bromirski wrote:
> On 2009-02-11 20:24, Justin Shore wrote:
>
>> So how do one force iBGP sessions to choose a larger datagram size? Do
>> you have to do it in the BGP config with 'neighbor a.b.c.d transport
>> path-mtu-discovery' or is there a more automatic solution?
>
> 'ip tcp path-mtu-discovery' global command or the one You mentioned
> for per-neighbor tuning.

I set 'ip tcp path-mtu-discovery' on all my boxes by default, and the
vast majority of them still assumed 516 or 536 MSS.  I tweaked the
transport options in a few routers and that brought up the MSS.  It
looks like the code on one of ME6524s won't let me set that option
though so I guess an upgrade is in order.

Thanks
  Justin