[c-nsp] BGP MSS=576 bytes

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Wed Feb 11 19:49:09 EST 2009

The documentation says that Path MTU discovery is enabled by default for all BGP neighbor sessions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/configuration/guide/irp_bgp_neighor.html#wp1054165

So enabling "ip tcp path-mtu-discovery" should not be necessary.

But i made some tests with 12.0S and it seems the documentation is not accurate:

- In the same 1500 bytes MTU ethernet segment, without that command the SYN packet is sent with MSS=536 bytes.
- With that command, the SYN packet is sent with MSS=1460 bytes.

This seems buggy to me :(

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S)
amsoares at netcabo.pt