[c-nsp] Cisco 3012 IBM Blade Switch Configurations?

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Thu Feb 12 17:08:41 EST 2009

On 13/02/2009, at 3:46 AM, McLean Pickett wrote:

> The CIGESM's are expensive and have limited feature support based on
> the way
> they are deployed in the chassis (you can't channel the NICs on the
> blades).
> They are additional devices to support and every time the server
> guys reboot
> the chassis spanning tree is impacted.

We have lots of IBM chassis with CIGESMs deployed in the wild and are
pretty happy with them.  The addition of the L3 Fa port in the 3012
and Protected Mode removes all the strange "chassis module" behavior
and makes them a pretty normal switch.

 From my perspective, the blade chassis is an enclosure that contains
servers, a couple of GigE switches and a couple of FC switches.
Conceptually, you can view the enclosure as a small rack.  Having
server guys just randomly rebooting a chassis would be like having a
server guy randomly power cycling a rack.  They would not have a happy
day.  Using passthrough module removes the advantages of using the
blade chassis IMHO.

David