[c-nsp] SUP upgrade when moving from Gig to 10gig

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Feb 12 18:44:44 EST 2009

On 2009-02-12 23:10, Powers, Kenny wrote:
> I have a client that has a SUP720-3BXL in his core and is moving from
> gige blades to 6708-10G-3C cards.  Does he need VS-S720-10G-3C
> engines to get full capabilities out of the 6708s? or would the 3BXLs
> be okay?

This is rolled-over on this list at least once a week.

For 6500 you have an option to do distributed processing/forwarding
by use of DFCs - which are essentially a copy of PFC that's on the
Supervisor. To be able to get full functionality of the system,
you need to match the PFC type with DFC type.

So, VS-S720-10G-3C uses PFC3C for processing. Essentially, PFC3C/CXL
have better MAC scalability (96k vs 64k) and some bugs fixed over
PFC3B/BXL.

If You'll use Sup720BXL (which means - PFC3-BXL) with the 6708
equipped with DFC3C, the system will 'downgrade' the DFCs 3C to 3B
level as lowest common denominator[1].

So yes, it is okay and will work but with above limitation.

[1].https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_bulletin0900aecd806ee29a.html

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net