[c-nsp] Cisco 3012 IBM Blade Switch Configurations?

David Hughes David at hughes.com.au
Fri Feb 13 21:42:19 EST 2009

On 14/02/2009, at 2:52 AM, ChrisSerafin wrote:

> I will have a pair of 2960's upstream that will have 2 bonded
> etherchannels going into each switch blade from each 2960. The
> etherchannels will be trunk links and then I will configure the
> internal virtual switchports as trunks going into the XEN
> Server....XEN is just like VMware/ESX...... the server tags the
> VLANs depending on what network they need to be on.
>

> Make sense at all? I've been google'ing until my eyes bleed trying
> to get up to speed on these devices.

Yup, that makes perfect sense and is similar to our architecture (if
you substitute 6500 for 2960 you'd pretty much have our standard
setup).  We run nodes of ESX farms on blades in this configuration.
If you are planning on dense virtualisation or multi-node farms then
you'll need to be running MST for your spanning tree.  Running any
form of per vlan STP will have you running out of STP instances before
you run out of vlans you need to trunk to your ESX / Xen boxes.

Thanks

David