[c-nsp] WS-6500-SFM insertion into production box, much of an impact?

Ben Steele illcritikz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:30:50 EST 2009

For those interested I put the SFM's in last night without a hitch, in
fact it didn't even drop a packet(1s ping intervals) it just did the usual
OIR Bus pause and one packet went up to 1600ms then everything went back to
normal except packets were now using the new crossbar fabric(no reboot
required), very smooth.
Running 12.2(18)SXF4

Before:

router#sh fab swi
Global switching mode is Flow through
dCEF mode is not enforced for system to operate
Fabric module is not  required for system to operate
Modules are allowed to operate in bus mode
Truncated mode is not allowed unless threshold is met
Threshold for truncated mode operation is 2 SFM-capable cards

Module Slot     Switching Mode
    1                      Bus
    3                      Bus
    5                      Bus

After:

router#sh fab swi
Global switching mode is Compact
dCEF mode is not enforced for system to operate
Fabric module is not  required for system to operate
Modules are allowed to operate in bus mode
Truncated mode is not allowed unless threshold is met
Threshold for truncated mode operation is 2 SFM-capable cards

Module Slot     Switching Mode
    1                     dCEF
    3                 Crossbar
    5                 Crossbar